Wednesday, May 16, 2012

TIME Controversy

WOW! What a week it has been in the media! There has been so much already said, by people who can say it better than me, so I'll keep it short.

Basically it started with this TIME article about attachment parenting:Time Magazine Cover
While I support extended breastfeeding for those who want to (personally weaned my daughter at 18 months) the cover is shocking and a bit disturbing- and admittedly the extreme of attachment parenting. Still I applaud the guts this lady has, and thank her for making it that much easier for me to nurse discreetly.

I think this article is the best response from Mothering Magazine president. time-is-on-our-side
I agree with everything she has to say.

But for good measure, here is one more article on extended breastfeeding from an anthropological point of view: breastfeeding-rates and another article on what attachment is in it's truest, simplest form scienceandsensibility

I personally consider myself to follow attachment parenting principles, but use it as "tools not rules." I co-sleep in the sense that my newborn's bassinet is set up in my room, but don't set out to "bed-share" ( though more often than not I fall asleep during night time nursings!). I don't wear my babies  out of obligation, but out of convenience - how much easier is it to have hands free when my babies want to be carried!? And I exclusively breast-feed because it is known that breast milk is the best nutrition I can provide for my child, not to mention all the other bonding/attachment aspects proven by science.

Have fun reading the articles! And would you be so kind as to drop me a comment letting me know you were here?

No comments:

Post a Comment