Friday, June 1, 2012

Celebrities do it to!

A new controversy over breastfeeding came up this past week. Two military moms were photographed breastfeeding in uniform. I'm not in the military so I don't have much to say about the "appropriateness" of it. But I hated that the military spokesperson said something to the effect of "Military moms who are still breastfeeding are encouraged to pump and bottle feed." To me that isn't fair. It is much harder to pump and bottle feed (not to mention the loss of the physical/bonding aspects of breastfeeding) and I think it is unfair that these women serving our country are being asked to do so. That's all I got to say about that.

Then today I came across another article relating to breastfeeding. The hype and controversy has reached Hollywood, and celebrities are "coming out" about breastfeeding.  The entire article and slideshow of breastfeeding mommies can be found HERE

But here is an excerpt:

After a certain national magazine rocked the world with a cover story aboutattachment parenting, singer Alanis Morissette, 37, is the most recent celebrity to announce publicly that she follows the tenets and advice of Dr. Bill Sears. Specifically, Morissette, a mother of one, is making headlines for saying she prioritizes breastfeeding, even though her son, Ever, is 16 months old.
"I breastfeed and I’ll be breastfeeding until my son is finished and he weans," she said on "The Billy Bush Show."
Morissette joins other celebrity moms who have been recognized for nursing, whether negatively for doing it longer than the public expects to see a mother put her child on the breast, positively for being a role model who abides by the advice of the American Academy of Pediatrics or just for being a mother who is -- with leaky boobs, a bigger bra size, and less sleep -- indeed, "just like us."

No comments:

Post a Comment